The temperatures have been soaring with no signs of coming down. We have put together some tips to help keep our community members and pets safe in the hot weather
1. Never leave your child unattended in a vehicle. Not even for a minute because temps are too high.
2. If you see a child in an unattended vehicle in the heat, call 9-1-1 immediately.
3. Have you heard, “Where is Baby?” Make sure all occupants leave the vehicle when unloading. Don’t overlook sleeping babies.
4. Always lock your car and ensure children do not have access to keys or remote entry devices. If your child is missing check your pool first and then your vehicles and don’t forget to look in the vehicle trunk. Children will find dangerous places to play. Teach your children that vehicles are not a play area.
5. To help remind yourself, keep a stuffed animal in the car seat and when the child is put in the seat place the animal in the front with you. The stuffed animal will help remind you to not to forget the baby.
6. Don’t want to use a stuff animal, place your purse or briefcase in the back seat as a reminder that you have your child in the car.
Tips to help our furry friends:
7. If you see an animal left alone in a hot car, take down the car’s color, model, make, and license plate number. Have the owner paged in the nearest buildings, or call Bladen Count Animal Control or police. Have someone keep an eye on the dog. Don’t leave the scene until the situation has been resolved.
8. If assistance doesn’t come soon enough and the animal is in imminent danger, find a witness who will back up your assessment, take steps to remove the suffering animal from the car, and then wait for authorities to arrive.
9. If an animal shows any symptoms of heat stroke, get the animal out of the heat. If possible take them to an air-conditioned vehicle or home, and then to a veterinarian immediately
10. A cool pool of water will help animals with the heat. If you don’t have a pool, provide water to drink, and if possible spray them with a garden hose.
Share on social media using short code: https://bladenonline.com/?p=16896Share: