• 10:43 pm Boykin to deliver May 26 sermon at Baldwin Branch
  • 9:55 pm This Day in History for May 20
  • 8:50 am Thoughts While Shaving for May 19
  • 1:27 am This Day in History for May 19
  • 1:22 am Bladen County Headlines … 35 Years Ago

By Erin Smith

Two court cases of interest to Bladen County were on the docket this week in Bladen County Superior Court.

The case of former Bladenboro Town Manager Delane Jackson was continued in Bladen County Superior Court. He is charged with one felony count of obtaining property by false pretenses. His last court appearance was April 20, according to court documents.

Jackson is represented by Defense Attorney Butch Pope. Judge Douglas Sasser set Jackson’s next court appearance for January.

Also on the docket this week, the case involving a man who was involved in a standoff with law enforcement officers in November 2017 has been continued to January as well.

In October, MacKenzie Brisson was scheduled to accept a plea agreement in Bladen County Superior Court when the Bladen County District Attorney’s Office abruptly requested that the matter be placed back on the Case Management Calendar in November. 

Bladen County Assistant District Attorney Quentin McGee told the court during that session of court, “In this case there are some extenuating factors.”

McGee told the court in October the plea agreement has not been rescinded. McGee explained the case’s extenuating factors and evidence will need to be reviewed during the case management session. The case has been on the calendar for case management about every other month, according to court records.

Brisson barricaded himself inside a home on Paul Brisson Road on November 21, 2017 and is accused of shooting at law enforcement officers. After the shooting stopped, officers sent a robot inside the home in attempt to locate Brisson. The robot was unable to locate Brisson inside of the residents. Officers eventually found Brisson inside of a pick up truck in the garage of the home. No one was injured and the standoff with law enforcement which ended peacefully after six hours.