By Sonny Jones
It’s just over a week until Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski coaches his final game on the court that bears his name. As is tradition, the final game of the regular season is against North Carolina. This year, it’s March 5 at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Krzyzewski has had a remarkable career that includes five NCAA titles guiding the Blue Devils and six gold medals, including two Olympic wins, as head coach of the U.S. Men’s National Team. He’s won more than 1,100 games in 41 seasons at Duke.
Tickets to the UNC at Duke game are always hard to get. Coach K’s final game after his 41-year career makes it more difficult.
Of course, there are no public sales, but there are tickets available for resale. Here’s a look at some of the prices found on ticket sites:
• One ticket in Section 15, Row B for $12,874 plus $2,478.25 in fees.
• One ticket in Section 9, Row J for $3,267 plus $628.90 in fees.
• Two tickets in Section 11, Row K for $3,800 each plus $731.50 in fees.
• Two tickets in Section 6, Row L for $9,122, which includes $2,146 in fees. The site labels it a “Great Deal.”
• One ticket in Section 9, Row J for 3,609, which includes $905 in fees. It’s also labeled a “Great Deal.”
• Two tickets in Section 15, Row L for $100,190 each, which includes fees. The site doesn’t label it, but I’d suggest this is not a great deal.
• Two tickets in Section 1, Row O for $3,763 each, which includes fees
• One ticket in Floor General Admission for $7,812, which includes fees.
For my money, ESPN’s telecast of the scheduled 6 p.m. contest is the best way to watch Krzyzewski’s final game on Coach K Court. However, if you go, post a selfie and enjoy.
FRIDAY’S PICK TO CLICK
Six weeks ago the Carolina Hurricanes hosted the Columbus Blue Jackets and I was sitting center ice about halfway up in the lower bowl at PNC Arena. The Stanley Cup-contending Hurricanes turned in, by far, their worst performance of the season and were shut out for the only time this season, 6-0. It was awful.
The teams meet again Friday night in Raleigh. There’s no way the Hurricanes deliver a dud in this one. Look for Sebastian Aho to score a couple of goals and Frederik Andersen to be stingy in net in a Carolina win.
The Hurricanes are the pick to click.
THURSDAY’S PICK: East Bladen girls basketball team. Result: The Eagles defeated East Carteret 67-58 in the second round of the 2-A state playoffs. East Bladen will play at North Lenoir on Saturday.
Sonny Jones can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.