Couch Potato: Let’s Go Canes! 10 Wins And Counting
By Sonny Jones
There’s a storm warning in Raleighwood. The Carolina Hurricanes are destroying the competition.
Friday night inside PNC Arena was an example how the past month or so has been going. My son and I watched it all from our seats in Section 304, Section C, Seats 15-16.
Antti Raanta made 19 saves for his second consecutive shutout and the Hurricanes, who entered the game ranked No. 27 in the NHL on power plays, netted three power play goals in declawing the Florida Panthers 4-0.
The Hurricanes won their franchise-record 10th straight game and extended their franchise-best point streak to 16. Carolina is 14-0-2 since Nov. 25 with overtime losses coming against Boston and Anaheim.
The Hurricanes, who trailed New Jersey by double-digit points in the Metropolitan Division standings a few weeks ago, now lead the second-place Devils by six points. Carolina’s 54 points is second-best in the NHL behind Boston’s 59.
Is this the year that Carolina wins its second Stanley Cup? It’s certainly a possibility and I plan on being in Section 304, Section C inside PNC Arena to find out.
BOWLS, BOWLS, BOWLS
Of course, with the trip to Raleigh and back Friday it put me way behind on the quest to watch every bowl game. I made it until halftime of the Duke’s Mayo Bowl game between N.C. State and Maryland. Still don’t know who won any of Friday’s games.
DON’T TELL ME! DON’T TELL ME!
Games played: 34 (through Dec 30)
Games watched live: 18
Games streamed: 11
Games to watch: 5 (Duke’s Mayo, Sun Bowl, Gator Bowl, Arizona Bowl, Orange Bowl)
• ALAMO BOWL: Washington 27, Texas 20
(Played Thursday, Dec. 29, watched Friday, Dec. 30)
The Huskies used two long scoring drives in the second half — one of 13 plays covering 75 yards and the other 14 plays over 90 yards — to take control and hold off the Longhorns. More than 62,000 fans inside the Alamodome made for a fun atmosphere.
TODAY IN SPORTS HISTORY
• 1962 — The American Basketball League folds. The ABL played one full season, 1961-1962, and part of this season. The ABL is the first basketball league to have a three point shot for baskets scored far away from the goal.
POTATO PICKS TO WATCH TODAY
• MUSIC CITY BOWL: Iowa vs. Kentucky, noon, ABC
• SUGAR BOWL: Alabama vs. Kansas State, noon, ESPN
• BASKETBALL: Virginia Tech at Wake Forest, noon, BALLY SOUTH
• SOCCER: Arsenal at Brighton & Hove Albion, 12:30 p.m., NBC
• BASKETBALL: Florida State at Duke, 1 p.m., ESPN2
• FIESTA BOWL: Texas Christian vs. Michigan, 4 p.m., ESPN
• HOCKEY: World Juniors – United States vs. Finland, 4 p.m., NHLN
• PEACH BOWL: Ohio State vs. Georgia, 8 p.m., ESPN
Sonny Jones can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.