Jones Lake State Park has several events scheduled through mid-December. All events are free and only the canoe hike requires a reservation. Face masks are required for indoor events.
The park is located at 4117 N.C. 242 North, Elizabethtown. The phone number is 910-588-4550. The park is open from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. through Sunday, then 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. beginning Monday. The visitor center is open Monday through Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Here is a list of upcoming events:
• Friday-Sunday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.: Fall Story Walk – Story is “Pick A Pumpkin” By Patricia Toht. A Story Walk is a children’s book and a walking trail combined. The Story Walk is open for self-guided exploration during park hours.
• Saturday, November 13, 1-3 p.m.: Canoe Hike – Join a ranger at for a guided paddle around Jones Lake. This program will be limited to 11 people. You will need to call the park office to reserve a seat.
• Saturday, November 20, 2-3 p.m.: Snakes – Ever wonder what snakes’ species are at home in eastern North Carolina?
• Saturday, November 27, 10-11 a.m.: Carolina Bay Exhibit Tour – Join a park ranger and learn about the geological mysteries of the Carolina Bays.
• Saturday, Dec. 4, 2-3 p.m.: Bears – Join a park ranger for a discussion on Jones Lake’s largest mammal … the black bear.
• Saturday, Dec. 11, 2-3 p.m.: Carolina Bay Hike – Join a park ranger for a hike through the bay forest at Jones Lake State Park and “discover” why this environment is unique.
• Saturday, Dec. 18, 10-11 a.m.: Snakes – Ever wonder what snakes’ species are at home in eastern North Carolina?
More information about Jones Lake State Park can be found online at https://www.ncparks.gov/jones-lake-state-park/home.