By Cara Beth Lewis
The number of positive COVID-19 cases is higher than it was this time last week in Bladen County. According to the Bladen County COVID-19 update from Dr. Teresa (Terri) Duncan, on Friday, July 16th, Bladen County had only 73 active cases. Today, Friday, July 23rd, there are 112 active cases. That is a 53% increase in just one week.
Vaccination Location Options in the Area:
Pzifer and Moderna vaccinations at Bladen County Health Department Monday-Thursday 9 am – 4 pm and Friday 9 am – noon.
Bladenboro Fire Department will have vaccinations on Thursday, July 29th, from 9 am until 3 pm.
BCC Back to School Blast from 8 am until 12 pm.
COVID Vaccine Canvassing Info From NCSA
Public Notice From North Carolina Sheriffs Association:
We have received questions from some sheriffs, who have received inquiries from their citizens about door-to-door efforts to get people to take the COVID-19 vaccine.
We contacted the NC Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and have been provided the following information:
- Door-to-door outreach (also known as canvassing) is one of many strategies to get more North Carolinians vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Door-to-door public health campaigns have been used for decades in the US with successful results.
- There are many entities performing vaccine canvassing; in fact, too many entities are performing vaccine canvassing for DHHS to keep an updated list.
- Canvassers are typically from the local community and should be people that the community knows and trusts.
- Across the state, numerous organizations are supporting door-to-door outreach efforts.
- DHHS funds some organizations to do this vaccine outreach (focusing on reaching historically marginalized populations), while other organizations are working independently of the state in partnership with the local Health Department.
- DHHS does not have full information about all the door-to-door outreach that is occurring.
- The purpose of the visits is to share information that might help someone decide to get the vaccine.
- Legitimate canvassers should not be asking people for money, credit card or bank information, social security number, or other sensitive personal information.
- If you are hearing concerns or have any questions about door-to-door vaccine outreach that may be happening in your county, you should contact your local Health Director to see what information they have about local vaccine outreach efforts.
For additional information, please contact your local health director.