Press "Enter" to skip to content

House on N.C. 41 destroyed by fire

Photo courtesy Tar Heel Volunteer Fire Dept.
Tar Heel Volunteer Fire Dept. photo

Heather Bass stared Sunday afternoon at what was left of the home along N.C. 41 she shared with her two children. Less than 24 hours earlier, the family escaped after an apparent spark from the fireplace set carpet on fire, destroying the double-wide house she had rented for the past two years.

“It was unbelievable how quick it spread,” said Bass, who had a bandage on her right hand Sunday afternoon from burns suffered because of the fire. “But everyone got out safely, and that’s what’s important.” Bass has an 11 year old girl and 4 year old boy. The family is staying with relatives for the time being.

Bladen Online photo
Bladen Online photo

Firefighters were called to the scene near J.B. Carroll Lane about 6:05 p.m. Saturday. Flames were showing through the roof and smoke was billowing out by the time fire units arrived. Members of Dublin, Bladenboro, Elizabethtown and Tar Heel departments responded. Dublin firefighters returned to the scene mid-afternoon Sunday for about an hour as portions of the structure continued to smolder.

Bass said there wasn’t time to save items in the house. “I tried to go in a couple of times, but the smoke was too thick,” she said.

Sunday, Bass, along with family and friends, tried to salvage what little they could.

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Instagram

Share:
Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail
Mission News Theme by Compete Themes.