Money goes to scholarships and winners
RALEIGH – Junior winners in the N.C. State Fair livestock shows drew a record $190,000 for the top steers, barrows, lambs, goats and turkeys in the Junior Livestock Sale of Champions at the N.C. State Fair on Oct. 13.
“The support of our junior livestock program is tremendous, and we are proud that so many businesses and organizations turned out to support the hard work of all these junior exhibitors,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler. “The money raised will go a long way towards college educations, scholarships and educational outreach.”
The grand champion junior market steer was shown by Ross Hinnant of Wilson, with the winning bid of $22,000 placed by N.C. Farm Bureau Insurance. The reserve grand champion was shown by Caleb Burnette of Weaverville. Capitol Chevrolet and Carolina Stockyards bought the reserve champion for $12,000.
The grand champion Got to Be NC steer was shown by Jax Holt of Leicester. That steer was purchased by N.C. Farm Bureau Insurance for $20,000.
Tractor Supply Company purchased the grand champion junior market lamb for $17,500. The lamb was shown by Hunter McMillan of Grandy. Tractor Supply Company also purchased the reserve champion lamb, shown by Caley Mayo of Whitakers for $7,000.
Farm Bureau Insurance purchased the Got to Be NC Junior Market Lamb shown by Cynthia Connolly of Mt. Ulla for $16,000.
Farm Credit Associations of NC purchased the grand champion meat goat, shown by Caley Mayo of Whitakers, for $15,500. N.C. Farm Bureau Insurance and Iron Horse Auction purchased the reserve grand champion meat goat shown Caleb Henson for $7,000.
The grand champion Got to Be NC meat goat was shown by Caleb Henson of Canton was purchased by Powers Great American Midways for $15,500.
Travis Cox of Richlands showed the grand champion market barrow, which was purchased for $19,000 by the N.C. Pork Council and J.C. Howard Farm.
The grand champion Got to Be NC barrow, which was also the reserve grand champion barrow, was shown by Taylor Glover of Pikeville. It was purchased for $26,000 by the Smithfield Foods, Duplin Marketing, Prestage Farms, Hog Slat Inc., Mt. Olive Livestock and the N.C. Pork Council.
Talley Farms purchased the grand champion turkey shown by Laura Jessup of Coleridge for $7,500. N.C. Farm Bureau Insurance and McBride’s Concessions purchased the reserve champion turkey shown by Caroline Scarlett of Asheboro for $5,000.
The youth receive 60 percent of the purchase amount, while the remaining 40 percent goes to support youth scholarships and youth livestock educational programs in North Carolina.
Since the inception of the scholarship program in 2015, nearly $225,000 has been awarded to students continuing their education.
The sale began with the auction of a stockman’s cane. EBS Farms and Stanly Select Sale purchased the cane for $800, which went into the scholarship program. In addition, Wilhelm and Ingrid Volk purchased an art print for $10,000, with the proceeds going to support youth in the livestock program affected by the hurricane.
Following the auction of the grand and reserve grand champions, a truckload support auction was held, raising $94,000 to provide additional support to the youth that participated in the junior market animal shows and sales.Share: