07/17/2019
  • 4:11 pm Bladen County: Thursday there is a concert and Friday there is a movie night
  • 1:58 pm Wanted: Lonnie Williams, Second suspect in child abduction
  • 1:41 pm Bladen County Schools and Smithfield Foods Unveils Bladen County Reed and Feed unit
  • 1:24 pm Bladen County School Board is asked to have a vote on silent graduations
  • 12:08 pm Successful blood drive leads to another
Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Bladen County was battered by hurricanes the past two years. There was Michael in 2017 and Florence in 2018.

What can be expected in 2019?

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center announced Thursday that it’s predicting a near-normal Atlantic hurricane season is most likely for 2019.

NOAA’s outlook forecasts a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 30% chance of an above-normal season and a 30% chance of a below-normal season, according to a news release. The hurricane season officially extends from June 1 to November 30.

For 2019, NOAA predicts a likely range of 9 to 15 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 4 to 8 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 2 to 4 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). NOAA provides these ranges with a 70% confidence. An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which 6 become hurricanes, including 3 major hurricanes.

“With the 2019 hurricane season upon us, NOAA is leveraging cutting-edge tools to help secure Americans against the threat posed by hurricanes and tropical cyclones across both the Atlantic and Pacific,” said Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross. “Throughout hurricane season, dedicated NOAA staff will remain on alert for any danger to American lives and communities.”

This outlook reflects competing climate factors. The ongoing El Nino is expected to persist and suppress the intensity of the hurricane season. Countering El Nino is the expected combination of warmer-than-average sea-surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, and an enhanced west African monsoon, both of which favor increased hurricane activity.

“New satellite data and other upgrades to products and services from NOAA enable a more weather-ready nation by providing the public and decision makers with the information needed to take action before, during, and after a hurricane,” said Neil Jacobs, Ph.D., acting NOAA administrator.

Share:
Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail
bladenonline

RELATED ARTICLES