Spread the love


Agricultural producers can apply for two new programs for revenue losses from 2020 and 2021 natural disasters or the COVID-19 pandemic. Both programs equitably fill gaps in earlier assistance.

First, producers may be eligible for assistance through the Emergency Relief Program (ERP) Phase Two if revenue losses were experienced from eligible natural disasters in 2020 and 2021.

Producers may also be eligible for the Pandemic Assistance Revenue Program (PARP) if revenue losses were experience in calendar year 2020. PARP is addressing gaps in previous pandemic assistance, which was targeted at price loss or lack of market access, rather than overall revenue losses.

Applications for both programs are due June 2 and applications can be submitted for both programs during the same appointment with USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA).

Historically, FSA programs have been designed to make direct payments to producers based on a single disaster event or for a single commodity loss. For many producers, this may be the first revenue-based program applied for with FSA.

Why revenue-based programs? 

ERP Phase Two and PARP take a much more holistic approach to disaster assistance, ensuring that producers not just make it through a single growing season but have the financial stability to invest in the long-term well-being of their operations and employees.

In general, ERP Phase Two payments are based on the difference in allowable gross revenue between a benchmark year, representing a typical year of revenue for the producer and the disaster year – designed to target the remaining needs of producers impacted by qualifying natural disasters and avoid duplicative payments. ERP Phase Two revenue loss is based on tax years.

For PARP, an agricultural producer must have been in the business of farming during at least part of the
2020 calendar year and had a decrease in revenue for the 2020 calendar year, as compared to a typical year. PARP revenue loss is based on calendar years.

How to Apply 

In preparation for enrollment, producers should gather supporting documentation including:

• Schedule F (Form 1040); and

• Profit or Loss from Farming or similar tax documents for tax years 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 for ERP and for calendar years 2018, 2019 and 2020 for PARP.

Producers should also have, or be prepared to have, the following forms on file for both ERP and PARP program participation:

• Form AD-2047, Customer Data Worksheet (as applicable to the program participant);

• Form CCC-902, Farm Operating Plan for an individual or legal entity;

• Form CCC-901, Member Information for Legal Entities (if applicable); and

• Form AD-1026 Highly Erodible Land Conservation (HELC) and Wetland Conservation (WC) Certification.

• Form CCC-860, Socially Disadvantaged, Limited Resource, Beginning and Veteran Farmer or Rancher Certification, as certain existing permanent and ad-hoc disaster programs provide increased benefits or reduced fees and premiums.

Most producers, especially those who have previously participated in FSA programs, will likely have these required forms on file. However, those who are uncertain or want to confirm should contact FSA at their local USDA Service Center at 450 Smith Circle, Elizabethtown.

In Bladen County, producers can contact County Executive Director Chris Tatum at 910-862-3179, ext. 2 or chris.tatum@usda.gov for more information on ERP Phase Two, PARP and the full portfolio of conservation, prices support, safety-net, credit and disaster assistance programs.