WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Senator Thom Tillis (R-NC) was selected to serve as the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Subcommittee on Personnel, the panel with jurisdiction over Department of Defense (DOD) personnel policies, including compensation, benefits, education and health care for servicemembers, their families, and DOD civilian employees.
“It’s an honor to chair the Senate Armed Services Personnel Subcommittee and serve as a champion for quality of life issues for our brave men and women in uniform, as well as their families,” said Senator Tillis. “During my time as chairman, the Personnel Subcommittee will work on solutions to improve TRICARE services, increase healthcare coordination between the military and private sector, and improve conditions at military facilities.”
Senate Armed Services Subcommittee on Personnel
- Responsibilities: Military and Department of Defense (DOD) civilian personnel policies; end strengths for military personnel; military personnel compensation and benefits; military health care; and military nominations.
- Special additional areas: Professional Military Education; DOD schools; DOD child care and family assistance; Civil-military programs; POW/MIA issues; Armed Forces Retirement Home; Morale, Welfare and Recreation; and military commissaries and exchanges.
- Oversight of budget accounts: Military personnel; military retirement; Defense Health Program; DOD Medicare-Eligible Retiree Health Care Fund; and operation and maintenance for certain education and civil-military programs.
- Oversight of DOD offices: Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel & Readiness); Assistant Secretary of Defense (Reserve Affairs); Assistant Secretary of Defense (Health Affairs).
- Oversight of DOD agencies: Defense Health Agency; Defense Commissary Agency; and Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences; Defense Prisoner of War/Missing in Action Accounting Agency.