Tillis: New Sanctions Will Hold Russian and Iranian Regimes Accountablebladenonline 06/15/2017 0 COMMENTS
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Senator Thom Tillis (R-NC), a member of the Senate Banking Committee, issued the following statement after voting in favor of bipartisan legislation to impose new sanctions on Iran and Russia.
“Putin has meddled in the elections of the United States and other democracies and has repeatedly violated the sovereignty of Russia’s neighbors. The Iranian regime remains the chief state sponsor of global terrorism and continues to develop their ballistic missile capabilities, which threatens the security of America and our allies,” said Senator Tillis. “These sanctions send a clear and unified message to the Russian and Iranian regimes that America will hold them accountable for their transgressions.”
Background on Iran Sanctions:
- New mandatory ballistic missile sanctions on Iran and on persons involved with Iran’s program.
- Applies terrorism sanctions to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.
- Requires the President to block the property of any person or entity involved in the supply, sale, or transfer of prohibited arms or related material to or from Iran.
Background on Russia Sanctions:
- Mandates a Congressional review if sanctions on Russia are relaxed, suspended, or terminated.
- Codifies and strengthens existing sanctions contained in executive orders on Russia.
- Imposing new sanction on: corrupt Russian actors; those seeking to evade sanctions; those supplying weapons to the Assad regime; those conducting malicious cyber activity on behalf of the Russian government; and those doing business with Russian intelligence and defense sectors.
- Allows broad new sanctions on key sectors of Russia’s economy, including mining, metals, shipping, and railways.