FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2022
Each year, UNCW recognizes faculty who have made significant contributions to teaching, research and service. These individuals distinguished themselves within the university and in the broader community. Nineteen faculty members were honored during the annual fall faculty meeting on Sept. 15. Provost James J. Winebrake and Faculty Senate President Nathan Grove announced this year’s award recipients.
Dr. Kathy Fox, professor in the Department of Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle, Literacy and Special Education, received the Distinguished Teaching Professorship Award and the Board of Trustees’ Teaching Excellence Award, the most prestigious award conferred at UNCW. She was also one of two recipients of the Distinguished Teaching Professorship Award, presented to faculty who have made a profound contribution to higher education through their dedication and service to students. Dr. Jacquelyn Lee, associate professor in the School of Social Work, was the second honoree.
Dr. David Webster, senior associate dean of graduate studies and research and innovation, received the J. Marshall Crews Distinguished Faculty Award by the Alumni Association. The award honors a faculty member who exhibits leadership in the areas of service; student support; community service and outreach efforts.
Dr. Brian Arbogast, a professor in the Department of Biology and Marine Biology, was recognized earlier this year as a recipient of the University of North Carolina Board of Governors’ Award for Excellence in Teaching. He was among 17 outstanding university faculty members throughout the UNC System recognized for their extraordinary contributions.
The following awards were also presented:
Distinguished Faculty Scholar Award
- Dr. Maria Cami-Vela, World Languages
- David Gessner, Creative Writing
UNCW Distinguished Scholarly Engagement and Public Service Awards
- Dr. Kimberly Cook, Sociology and Criminology, Senior Faculty recipient
- Dr. Josalin Hunter, School of Social Work, Rising Faculty recipient
- Dr. Jennifer Le Zotte, History, Rising Faculty recipient
Graduate Faculty Mentor Award
- Dr. Narcisa Pricope, Earth and Ocean Sciences
Lecturers of the Year
- Sara Miller, Health and Applied Sciences
- Amy Van de Motter, School of Social Work
- Dr. Carol Plautz, Biology and Marine Biology
Part-time Lecturer of the Year
- Richard Davis, Sociology and Criminology
Chancellor’s Teaching Excellence Awards
Cameron School of Business
- Dr. Stephen Hill, Congdon School of Supply Chain, Business Analytic and Information Systems
College of Arts and Sciences
- Dr. Nathan Crowe, History
- Dr. Stephanie Kamel, Biology and Marine Biology
College of Health and Human Services
- Dr. April Matthias, School of Nursing
Watson College of Education
- Dr. Shelby Morge, Early Childhood, Elementary, Middle, Literacy and Special Education
In addition, full-time faculty members who have been at UNCW for five, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 years were honored for their years of service.