Winners of 2019 Aviation Art Contest Announcedbladenonline 03/02/2019 0 COMMENTS
RALEIGH – After receiving a record 2,793 entries, the N.C. Department of Transportation’s Division of Aviation is proud to announce the winners of this year’s Aviation Art Contest.
After weeks of judging and voting, the winners in three age groups have been announced and can be seen below. This year’s theme was “My Dream to Fly.”
Junior (born 2009-2012):
- 1st: Srinika Lingidi, of Mills Park Elementary in Cary
- 2nd: Abigail Santiago, of Berean Baptist Academy in Fayetteville
- 3rd: Jessica H. Wu, of Davis Drive Elementary in Cary
Intermediate (born 2005-2008):
- 1st: Kailyn Becker, of Lufkin Road Middle in Apex
- 2nd: Eve Bennett, of Kiser Middle in Greensboro
- 3rd: Madeline Grimmius, of Pine Lake Preparatory in Mooresville
Senior (born 2001-2004):
- 1st: Hyunmin Ra, of Berean Baptist Academy in Fayetteville
- 2nd: Haley Carter, of Massey Hill Classical High in Fayetteville
- 3rd: Jesus Mena, of Central Middle in Dobson
The winning art can be viewed on the Division of Aviation’s Facebook page. Art from all finalists will be posted on the NCDOT Flickr site.
The winners were selected over two weeks of voting by local art teachers, aviation experts and Division of Aviation Employees. The artwork was judged on creativity, adherence to the theme and technical quality.
In addition to cash prizes for the winners and their schools, the top three students in each age division will have their artwork submitted to the National Aviation Art Contest. Last year, a North Carolina student placed 2ndin the national contest and advanced to the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale’s International Aviation Art Contest in Switzerland.
The 2,793 entries for this year’s competition represents more than twice the highest number of entries previously submitted. This year’s entries came from 243 schools in 67 counties. A total of 5,816 students have participated in the NC Aviation Art Contest during the last five years.
Bladen County Schools announced, “Congratulations to Bladen Lakes Primary student Kynzlee Wood who placed 9th in the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) Aviation Art Contest.”