January 15, 2021 – According to Dr. Teresa Duncan (Terri), Director Bladen Health and Human Services the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services announced yesterday that it had updated the State’s COVID-19 vaccination plan to incorporate all health care workers and anyone 65 years and older as the current group to be vaccinated. The priority groups in the new plan are:
• Group 1 Health care workers and Long-term care staff and residents — ACTIVE
• Group 2 Older adults (defined as 65 and above) — ACTIVE
• Group 3 Frontline essential workers — NOT YET OPEN
• Group 4 Adults at high risk for exposure and increased risk of severe illness — NOT YET
• Group 5 Everyone who wants a safe and effective COVID-19 vaccination — NOT YET OPEN
This update will vastly increase the number of people who will be eligible for the vaccine.
This week Bladen County Health Department staff made adjustments to add vaccine clinics and more than doubled the number of vaccines given per day. The Bladen County Health Department staff’s immediate priorities are:
- Make appointments for persons age 75 and older and healthcare workers that are currently on our waiting lists
- Administer doses of the vaccine as allotments are received.
Vaccine supplies are very limited. Dr. Duncan explained, to accommodate those on our list, beginning today, Friday, January 14, calls to be put on a waiting list will be suspended. Once the list is completed, we will be able to open up to the larger priority group of age 65 and above.
Dr. Duncan added, “We ask for your patience as we adjust to the State’s most recent vaccination plan.”