Spring Recipe Idea: Strawberry Pretzel Pie
By Cara Beth Smith
Each spring, I look forward to fresh strawberries from local produce stands. This strawberry pretzel pie recipe looks like a delicious way to make use of fresh strawberries. Cool and refreshing with a buttery pretzel crust and homemade strawberry filling, this Pioneer Woman recipe is a must-try this Spring.
Ree Drummond, “The Pioneer Woman,” is known for simple recipes that are delicious, but not intimidating or too difficult for rookie cooks to successfully prepare at home. This particular recipe consists of only eight ingredients and less than an hour of active preparation time.
This recipe is courtesy of Food Network and Ree Drummond.
• 3½ cups of pretzels
• 1 stick of butter, melted
• ⅓ cup of brown sugar
• 1½ cups of granulated sugar
• 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
• 1 package of strawberry flavored gelatin powder
• 3 pints of strawberries, hulled and halved
• 2 cups of heavy cream
For the pretzel crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Crush the pretzels in a large resealable plastic bag with a rolling pin. Mix in a bowl with the butter and brown sugar. Press into a pie pan and bake for eight minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
2. For the strawberry filling: Put 1½ cups water, the granulated sugar, cornstarch, and gelatin powder in a saucepan. Stir together and bring to a boil. Cook until it starts to thicken, then remove from the heat.
3. Put the strawberries in a bowl and pour over the sauce, gently tossing together. Allow to cool slightly, then carefully pile the coated strawberries into the cooled pie crust. Spoon over any leftover sauce and refrigerate, uncovered, for four hours.
4. Pour the cream into the bowl of a mixer, and use the whisk attachment to whisk until billowy. Top the pie with a huge layer of whipped cream, spooned on with a big spoon.
For fresh strawberries, keep an eye on local Farmers Markets, including Cape Fear Farmers Market in Elizabethtown and Bladenboro Farmers Market. Eddie’s Berries in Bladenboro is known for delicious and sweet strawberries each year as well. More berry-buying options include Mote Plantation Farms in White Lake, 6 B’s Produce in Clarkton, Jack Pait Strawberries in Allenton, and Robinson Produce in Whiteville.
More strawberry recipes from Food Network:
• Strawberry Pretzel Trifle
• Strawberry Shortcake
• Strawberry Cobbler
• Chocolate Covered Strawberries
• Fresh Strawberry Milkshakes