WASHINGTON, D.C. – On the heels of this year’s March For Life event, U.S. Senator Thom Tillis (R-NC) co-sponsored 12 different pro-life bills to reaffirm his commitment to protecting our most vulnerable.
“This week, the Biden Administration took unacceptable steps to force North Carolina taxpayers to pay for abortion services both abroad and here in the United States through the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid,” said Senator Tillis. “As the Left continues to increase its attacks on the pro-life movement and the unborn, we must vigorously renew our efforts to defend the sanctity of life. Each of us has a duty to protect the most vulnerable among us, even those who are not yet born, which is why I couldn’t be more proud of my work to stop the ending of innocent, unborn lives.”
This week, Senator Tillis co-sponsored the following pro-life bills to protect the unborn:
· No Taxpayer Funding For Abortion and Abortion Insurance Full Disclosure Act: This bill would permanently codify the Hyde Amendment across all government programs to prevent federal funds from paying for abortion or health care plans that include abortion services. Introduced by Senator Roger Wicker (R-MS).
· SAVE Moms and Babies Act: This bill would prevent labeling changes to current abortion pill labels and ban the sale of abortion pills remotely, by mail, or via telemedicine. It would also prohibit the FDA from approving any new chemical abortion drugs. Introduced by Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-MS).
· Born-Alive Survivors Protection Act: This bill requires that appropriate care be given to any child who survives an attempted abortion. The bill also allows federal murder charges to be brought against anyone who intentionally kills such a born-alive child. Introduced by Senator Ben Sasse (R-NE).
· Pain-Capable Unborn Children Act: This legislation would end late-term abortions, after 20 weeks, due to the fact that neuroscience and ultrasound technology have made it plain that unborn babies at this gestational age can feel pain. Introduced by Senator Lindsay Graham (R-SC).
· Dignity for Aborted Children Act: This bill requires abortion providers to dispose of fetal remains as human remains, through internment or cremation. Abortion providers would additionally be required to report annually about the aggregate number of abortions performed. Introduced by Senator Mike Braun (R-IN).
· Protecting Life in Foreign Assistance Act: This bill would ensure that no funds may be made available to foreign non-governmental organizations, multi-lateral nonprofits, and quasi-autonomous non-governmental organizations that perform abortions, counsel for abortion, lobby for abortion policies or expanded access, or provide funding or resources for any entity, including domestic non-governmental organizations and nonprofits, that perform abortions abroad. Introduced by Senator Mike Lee (R-UT).
· Women’s Public Health and Safety Act: This legislation would clarify and codify that states may establish criteria that would exclude providers who perform elective abortions from their state’s Medicaid program. Introduced by Senator James Lankford (R-OK).
· Pregnant Women Health and Safety Act: This bill would require abortion doctors to have admitting privileges at a hospital within 15 miles of their practices. The bill also requires abortion centers to meet state-mandated requirements for ambulatory surgery centers. Introduced by Senator John Kennedy (R-LA).
· Child Interstate Abortion Notification Act: This bill would make it a crime to knowingly transport a minor to another state to obtain an abortion in order to circumvent parental involvement laws in the minor’s resident state. Introduced by Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL).
· Protecting Life in Crisis Act: This bill would extend existing Hyde Amendment protections to any COVID-19-related healthcare provisions. Specifically, this bill would prohibit any funds that are authorized or appropriated for the purposes of preventing, preparing for, or responding to the COVID–19 pandemic, domestically and internationally, from going toward abortions or abortion coverage. Additionally, this bill targets any attempts to use refundable tax credits to purchase coverage on the exchanges or for COBRA continuation coverage. Introduced by Senator Roger Marshall (R-KS).
· Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act: This bill would exclude elective abortion providers like Planned Parenthood from the Title X family planning program. Introduced by Senator Marsha Blackburn (R-TN).
· Defund Planned Parenthood Act: This bill would ensure that federal tax dollars are not going to Planned Parenthood or any other organizations that perform abortions. Funds for these services would continue to be provided to entities that are eligible and not performing abortions, such as community health centers. Introduced by Senator Rand Paul (R-KY).