(Raleigh) — North Carolina Superintendent Mark Johnson has announced that 15 districts and schools have been awarded grants totaling $800,000 under the Coding and Mobile App Development Grant Program that was launched in 2017 with funding from the General Assembly.
The grants, which range from $7,300 to $80,000, support partnerships with local businesses to help schools develop computer science, coding and mobile app development programs for middle and high school students.
“This innovative program is providing North Carolina students the opportunity to learn computer science, coding and mobile app development to help them gain key skills in high demand in the 21st century economy,” Johnson said. “The focus is on empowering students to create and contribute – not just use and consume – in the digital economy and to actively engage as informed citizens in our complex, technology-driven world.”
Receiving grant awards are:
• Asheville-Buncombe-Madison Consortium: $80,000.00
• Beaufort County Schools: $79,117.96
• Caldwell County Schools: $46,040.00
• Carter G. Woodson School: $41,890.00
• Carteret County Schools: $60,875.00
• Cherokee County Schools: $42,938.00
• Cox Mill High School: $73,300.00
• Cumberland County Schools: $77,000.00
• Jones County Schools: $71,265.00
• Lenoir County Schools: $17,781.00
• Northeast Academy for Aerospace and Advanced Technologies: $7,300.00
• Perquimans County Schools: $24,500.00
• Rowan-Salisbury Schools: $64,100.00
• Rutherford County Schools: $33,893.04
• Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools: $80,000.00
Some districts and schools are using funds to continue and expand programs started through previous years’ grant monies. Other districts and schools have begun implementing their programs this fall with these new funds.
In the first few rounds of coding and mobile app grants awarded, districts used the funds to provide professional development for teachers, develop and implement middle and high school courses in computer science and programming, and offer computer-oriented summer camp opportunities.Share: