April 23, 2020
Columbus County, NC
Columbus County is reporting five new cases of COVID-19. Our current total number of COVID-19 cases is 81. Investigation found that four of the five new cases are connected to a large, family gathering – one case is still under investigation. One of the new positive cases is requiring hospitalization. The Columbus County Health Department will continue to follow CDC guidelines to protect public health and limit the spread of infection. Based on information provided by the individuals, county public health officials will assess risks of exposure, and determine which if any additional measures are needed, such as temperature checks, symptom checks, quarantine, and/or testing. We are BEGGING the public to take the necessary measures to stop the transmission of COVID-19. The ONLY way to reduce the transmission of COVID-19 is social distancing; there is no vaccination. The Columbus County Health Department would like to remind everyone of the recommended measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, which are:
• Social distancing (e.g. avoiding crowds, self-quarantining)
• Wearing a mask or face covering when in public places
• Washing hands frequently with soap and water, and for at least 20 seconds each time
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
• Avoid close contact with people who are ill
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, throw it away, and then wash your hands
• Do not reuse tissue after coughing, sneezing, or blowing your nose
• Clean and disinfect surfaces that are frequently touched
Public Health continues to work with our health and safety partners in the community to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic and will continue to provide daily updates. The Columbus County Health Department regularly updates our Facebook page with accurate and current information regarding COVID-19 and Columbus County.
For more information regarding, prevention, symptoms, reputable sources, and other important information please see our previous COVID-19 updates and press releases at Facebook.com/columbuscountyhealth.
For information, you can also reach the Columbus County Health Department’s COVID-19 Call Center by calling 910-640-6615 ext. 7045 or 7046. The call center hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PMShare: