The theme for the first week of National Cybersecurity Awareness Month(NCSAM), October 1-5, is Make Your Home a Haven for Online Safety.
Learn basic cybersecurity essentials to protect your home against cyber threats. Use the following resources to educate your family today:
- Basic Cybersecurity Safety Tips and Advice from STOP. THINK. CONNECT. – the cybersecurity awareness campaign from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
- Secure key accounts and devices – Use strong passwords, passcodes, or other features such as touch identification to lock your devices. Review these tips for passwords and securing your accounts.
- Lock Down Your Login – Protect accounts with strong authentication.
- When in doubt, throw it out – Links in email, tweets, posts, and online advertising are often how cybercriminals try to compromise your information. If it looks suspicious, delete it.
- Back It Up – Protect against data loss by making electronic copies of important files.
- Manage Your Privacy – Information about you, such as your purchase history and location, has value – just like money. Protect your data by being cautious about how your information is collected by apps and websites.
- Respond to identify theft, fraud, and crime – If you are the victim of cybercrime, you need to know what to do and respond quickly.