The 2018 Burroughs Wellcome Fund North Carolina Teacher of the Year will be announced Friday, April 20, during a luncheon at The Umstead Hotel, 100 Woodland Pond Drive, Cary.
The actual announcement is expected to take place around 1:45 p.m.
The winner succeeds the 2017 Teacher of the Year, Lisa Godwin, a kindergarten teacher at Dixon Elementary School in Onslow County.
The 2018 North Carolina Regional Teachers of the Year are:
- Northeast: Kaley Kiffner, Perquimans County Middle (Perquimans County Schools);
- Southeast: Cameron Gupton, Greene Early College High (Greene County Schools);
- North Central: Kedecia Stewart, Pinkston Street Elementary School (Vance County Schools);
- Sandhills: Lindsey Sise, West Hoke Middle (Hoke County Schools);
- Piedmont-Triad: Freebird McKinney, Walter M. Williams High (Alamance-Burlington Schools);
- Southwest: Samone Graham, Mooresville High (Mooresville Graded School District);
- Northwest: Lisa Wall, Burke Middle College (Burke County Public Schools);
- Western: Julie Pittman, R-S Central High (Rutherford County Schools); and
- Charter Schools: Courtney Samuelson, The Capitol Encore Academy (Fayetteville)
The North Carolina Teacher of the Year will spend next school year traveling the state as an ambassador for the teaching profession. He or she will receive the use of a state vehicle for one year, a one-year leased vehicle from Flow Automotive, LLC, the opportunity to attend a seminar at the NC Center for the Advancement of Teaching, a mobile device from Lenovo valued at approximately $1,600, an engraved vase, a one-time cash award of $7,500, a trip to the National Teacher of the Year Conference and International Space Camp, and the opportunity to travel abroad through an endowment sponsored by Go Global NC.
North Carolina has recognized outstanding teachers through its Teacher of the Year program since 1970. For more information on North Carolina’s Teacher of the Year recognition program, visit the program’s website or contact the NCDPI Communications division at 919-807-3450.Share: