By Ray Jones
Jesus Jam fun, good eats, learning about Bladen’s past and a canoe adventure are just some of the events happening this weekend in Bladen County.
• On Saturday, June 8, the fifth annual Jesus Jam Community Event is scheduled from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at First Missionary Baptist Church at 501 Martin Street in Elizabethtown. There will be bounce houses, a water slide, food and more. You don’t have to be a church member to participate. Registration for Vacation Bible School also will be open.
• Also Saturday, June 8, Sandy Grove Church Youth Fundraiser Spaghetti Plate Sale will be from 6-8 p.m., $10 per plate. Meal includes spaghetti, bread, salad and dessert. Church is located at 8299 NC 242 between Bladenboro and Elizabethtown. Proceeds go to the youth summer trip to the Ark Encounter and Creation Museum.
• Want to know more about Bladen County’s past? The Mother County Genealogical Society will meet Saturday, June 8 from noon to 2 p.m. in the Bladenboro Historical Society Building at 818 South Main St. Albert Shaw, from Clarkton, will speak about soldiers from Bladen County who served in the American Revolutionary War. He will bring roster books that will be available to look up ancestors. More than 36,000 men from North Carolina served in Revolutionary War.
• On Sunday, June 9, Singletary Lake’s Big Canoe Adventure is scheduled at 10 a.m. at Singletary Lake State Park located off NC 53 East in Kelly. The program is free. Two 29-foot canoes will take 12 people each on an hour-long guided tour and paddling program around the lake. Participants will be able to learn basic canoe strokes and paddle safety. Life vest and paddles will be provided. Paddlers must register for the event by calling the park at (910) 669-2928.
• June 15: Good News Baptist Church of Bladenboro will sponsor a Chicken Bog plate sale and Cake Auction at the Bladenboro Community Building 109 East Elm Street. The plate sale will be from 4:30 p.m. until 7:30 p.m. and cake auction will begin at 6 p.m. The plate will include chicken bog, green beans, roll and tea. Price is $6.50.
• June 20: The annual Sunset Jams Concert Series will kick off with a performance by the Pizzaz Band at Goldston’s Beach at White Lake from 6 until 9 p.m. The concert will be held rain or shine. Admission is free and the public is welcome to attend.
To have your event listed on the calendar, email email@example.com.Share: